bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Preparing for a PGCE
Introduce yourself to the PGCE programme and learn what the rewarding life of a teacher looks like.
Created by Dr Deborah Roberts, offered on FutureLearn
The PGCE is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education that proves your credentials as a teacher in England, and can also allow you to teach abroad.
As a potentially important qualification to gain, preparing yourself to study for it is important. On this course, you’ll examine the academic literature around what teaching and learning in schools look like.
Based upon the University of Warwick’s successful PGCE programme, you’ll learn observational teaching skills – along with key legal knowledge – that will stand you in great stead for the PGCE to come.
This course is aimed at anyone who has accepted a place on an English PGCE course or is preparing for a teaching career in higher or further education
What you will learn
- Investigate what might be involved in completing a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) programme
- Reflect upon your own motivations for wanting to become a teacher
- Develop initial understanding of the centrality of safeguarding to the role of the teacher and some key aspects of safeguarding.
- Investigate the importance of reflective practice for teachers
- Explore the importance of good mental health and wellbeing for teachers
- Identify the importance of subject knowledge for teachers and begin to develop your own subject knowledge in areas of need
- This course is aimed at anyone who has accepted a place on an English PGCE course or is preparing for a teaching career in higher or further education
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.