bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Dangerous Questions: Why Academic Freedom Matters
Explore the meaning of academic freedom and how it relates to core higher education and societal values.
Created by Robert Quinn, offered on FutureLearn
Academic freedom is a fundamental value in modern higher education and research.
On this course, you’ll find out how we can use academic freedom to ask critical questions and contribute to a democratic society.
You’ll explore the importance of free and open research, and how it relates to core higher education and societal values.
You’ll understand why academic freedom is crucial for maintaining the quality and relevance of research in higher education.
You’ll learn about some of the current threats to academic freedom, and how this relates to the academic community worldwide.
This course is designed for students and staff in higher education, but it will be relevant for anyone interested in asking critical questions.
What you will learn
- Explain the meaning of academic freedom and related values and how these values interrelate
- Identify challenges and threats to academic freedom in different contexts
- Assess how academic freedom can be promoted and defended
- Demonstrate the importance of academic freedom to the development of society
- Apply frameworks for responding to incidents that implicate academic freedom
- This course is designed for students and staff in higher education, but it will be relevant for anyone interested in asking critical questions.
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.