bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python Programming
A practical programming course for office workers, academics, and administrators who want to improve their productivity.
Created by Al Sweigart, offered on Udemy
To make sure that we score courses properly, we pay a lot of attention to the reviews students leave on courses and how many students are taking a course in the first place. This course has a total of 1029688 students which left 99830 reviews at an average rating of 4.66. Impressive!
We analyze course length to see if courses cover all important aspects of a topic, taking into account how long the course is compared to the category average. This course has a length of 9 hours 31 minutes, which is pretty short. This might not be a bad thing, but we've found that longer courses are often more detailed & comprehensive. The average course length for this entire category is 7 hours 53 minutes.
This course currently has a bestcourses score of 9.3/10, which makes it a great course to learn from. On our entire platform, only 15% of courses achieve this rating!
If you're an office worker, student, administrator, or just want to become more productive with your computer, programming will allow you write code that can automate tedious tasks. This course follows the popular (and free!) book, Automate the Boring Stuff with Python.
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python was written for people who want to get up to speed writing small programs that do practical tasks as soon as possible. You don't need to know sorting algorithms or object-oriented programming, so this course skips all the computer science and concentrates on writing code that gets stuff done.
This course is for complete beginners and covers the popular Python programming language. You'll learn basic concepts as well as:
- Web scraping
- Parsing PDFs and Excel spreadsheets
- Automating the keyboard and mouse
- Sending emails and texts
- And several other practical topics
By the end of this course, you'll be able to write code that not only dramatically increases your productivity, but also be able to list this fun and creative skill on your resume.
What you will learn
- Automate tasks on their computer by writing simple Python programs.
- Write programs that can do text pattern recognition with "regular expressions".
- Programmatically generate and update Excel spreadsheets.
- Parse PDFs and Word documents.
- Crawl web sites and pull information from online sources.
- Write programs that send out email notifications.
- Use Python's debugging tools to quickly figure out bugs in your code.
- Programmatically control the mouse and keyboard to click and type for you.
- No programming experience is required.
- Downloading and installing Python is covered at the start of the course.
- Basic computer skills: surfing websites, running programs, saving and opening documents, etc.