bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Trust in Our Food: Understanding Food Supply Systems
How much do you trust your food? Learn about food supply systems, safety, sustainability, nutrition and quality.
Created by Alice Mauchline, offered on FutureLearn
Can you trust your food? This course will help you understand the global food supply systems responsible for delivering safe, nutritious, high-quality, sustainable food to your plate. You’ll explore the processes and the people involved, reflect on what we mean by ‘trust’ and uncover the important role the consumer plays in improving the supply chain.Is my food safe?
You’ll discover the regulations in place to ensure the food you buy is safe to eat whether it’s produced within Europe or further afield and explore the food scandals that shaped the legislation before reflecting on the risks foods might pose to our health and analysing your level of trust.Is my food nutritious?
Learn all about food labels and what they can tell you about the processes involved in making products as well as the ingredients they contain. Understand the evidence producers must provide before they can make claims about their products and discover how to analyse food headlines so you can make informed choices.Is my food sustainable?
You’ll discover ways you can find out by exploring assurance schemes, weigh up the various factors that influence how ethical production processes are and discuss how to take action to make a difference through consumer choice.
This course is for anyone interested in learning about where their food comes from.
The Educator team won’t be available to answer questions or respond to your comments during this course. However, we encourage you to interact and support each other by posting your thoughts and comments and sharing your knowledge with other learners
What you will learn
- Describe the complexity of the global food system and the issues that affect consumer trust in food
- Identify the key factors involved in food safety
- Assess different sources of nutritional information
- Synthesise the different food labels that provide assurances to consumers
- Debate how your choices reflect your values
- Reflect on the role of the consumer in influencing the food supply system
- This course is for anyone interested in learning about where their food comes from.
- The Educator team won’t be available to answer questions or respond to your comments during this course. However, we encourage you to interact and support each other by posting your thoughts and comments and sharing your knowledge with other learners
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.