bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Valuing Nature: Should We Put a Price on Ecosystems?
Discover the many ways that we benefit from the natural world through ecosystem services.
Created by Tim Lenton, offered on FutureLearn
There are many services that ecosystems provide that we never even consider, until we destroy them. Natural ecosystems help alleviate flooding, improve food security and protect our coastlines. Yet we consistently replace these ecosystems with manmade alternatives. If we put a price on nature, will it help us to protect these important ecosystems? And is it morally right to put a price on nature? Get answers with this course that uses an interdisciplinary approach to explore the ins and outs of how we value nature.
This course is for anyone interested in nature and the environment, you don’t need any past experience.
What you will learn
- Describe the concept of 'valuing nature’
- Compare different types of services that ecosystems provide
- Assess the moral and political dilemmas associated with valuing ecosystems
- Apply your understanding of ecosystem services to peatlands, coral reefs and rainforests
- Identify key ecosystem services in your place
- Investigate the best ways to manage and preserve ecosystems and their services
- This course is for anyone interested in nature and the environment, you don’t need any past experience.
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.