bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Climate Change: Solutions
Explore the potential solutions to climate change and how they relate to the UN's sustainable development goals.
Created by Tim Lenton, offered on FutureLearn
Man-made climate change is one of the biggest threats to the world. The effects are already being seen through receding glaciers, ocean acidification and an increasingly vulnerable food supply. It’s vital we work to find solutions to climate change.
On this course you will explore solutions to this global challenge, including mitigation, adaptation and geo-engineering, which can help avoid the most dangerous climate changes and increase the resilience of societies and ecosystems to climate changes that cannot be avoided.
You don’t need any prior knowledge of climate change, just an interest in science, nature and the environment. However it might be useful to have completed the sister course to this one: Climate Change: The Science.
What you will learn
- Describe the sustainable development goals and their links to climate change
- Explore responses to climate change: mitigation, adaptation and geoengineering
- Identify methods of making agriculture more sustainable and explore the viability of these methods
- Debate the viability of solutions that help strengthen the terrestrial biosphere carbon sink
- Explain possible solutions to reducing ocean acidification
- Discuss methods and policies being implemented to reduce plastic in oceans
- Describe how buildings and cities can be designed to be more sustainable
- Apply the theme of ‘sustainable communities’ to the developing world
- You don’t need any prior knowledge of climate change, just an interest in science, nature and the environment. However it might be useful to have completed the sister course to this one: Climate Change: The Science.
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.