bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Nutrition Science: Lifestyle Medicine
Discover the preventative role of diet and nutrition for lifelong health and the relationship between mood and food.
Created by Alex Johnstone (Lead Educator), offered on FutureLearn
Poor diet and lifestyle choices can lead to an increased risk of some diseases, affecting our lifelong health.
On this four-week course, you’ll explore the many factors at play that can help promote health and wellbeing in adults.
Delving into the role of diet, physical activity, stress, and environment, you’ll understand how lifestyle can positively or negatively influence health.Explore the relationship between diet and non-communicable diseases
You’ll unpack the critical relationship between diet and non-communicable (chronic) diseases.
This exploration of evidence-based learning will help you understand exactly how nutrition can lead to an increased risk of some diseases.
It will also give you the opportunity to learn how to evaluate a range of information from scientific, peer-reviewed literature, including systematic reviews and observational studies.Understand the role of social and environmental factors in influencing lifestyle
As you delve further into the relationship between food and health, you’ll explore the role of social and environmental factors which may affect health, such as shift work, intermittent fasting, and sleep.
With this knowledge, you’ll understand the complexity of many contributors to health and wellbeing.
Learning from the experts and research academics at the world-leading Rowett Institute, you’ll finish the course with a deep understanding of the relationships between lifestyle and lifelong health.
This course is designed for anyone interested in health, including allied health professionals and those working in health care or the food system.
It will also be of interest to those looking to enhance their CPD.
What you will learn
- Explain the preventative role of diet and nutrition for lifelong health.
- Describe the role of physical activity and movement to positively influence health.
- Discuss the relationship between stress and resilience on mood and food.
- Discuss environmental & social factors influencing health, wellbeing and longevity.
- Evaluate a range of hierarchy of evidence from systematic reviews to observational studies as applied in the research environment as evidence-based literature.
- This course is designed for anyone interested in health, including allied health professionals and those working in health care or the food system.
- It will also be of interest to those looking to enhance their CPD.
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.