bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Medicine Administration for Carers
Learn about the 6 'R's of medicine administration (including medicine administration routes) and understand related legislation.
Created by Rina Matala , offered on FutureLearn
On this course you will learn about the underlying principles and procedures of medicine administration. You will consider the legislation and guidance surrounding medicines administration, including requirements for medicines storage and record keeping. You will also learn the 6 ‘Rs’ of medicine administration: right patient, right medicine, right route, right dose, right time and resident’s right to refuse.
Through the course you will learn through articles, videos and discussion - giving you the opportunity to collaborate and learn from other carers.
This course is primarily for care workers in residential care home and nursing home services in the UK. It will be also be of interest to other people working in adult care services including those working in sheltered housing, supported living services, extra care housing services, adult placement homes and other residential care services.
What you will learn
- Engage the 6 R's of safe medicine administration for residents at your care setting
- Apply your knowledge of the policy and guidance on covert administration of medicines in appropriate instances
- Demonstrate good hand hygiene and knowledge of good oral hygiene for your residents
- Identify ways in which you can involve the resident in making shared decisions about their medicines
- Assess, monitor, administer and review medicines so that residents are receiving medicines in an appropriate form
- Collaborate with other members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure the resident's medication needs are met
- This course is primarily for care workers in residential care home and nursing home services in the UK. It will be also be of interest to other people working in adult care services including those working in sheltered housing, supported living services, extra care housing services, adult placement homes and other residential care services.
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. It offers everything from regular online courses to full online degrees, offered in partnership with dozens of universities globally. With close to 5 million monthly visitors, it’s a popular choice for many.