bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Photography Fundamentals for Beginners
Learn the exposure triangle (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) and basic composition rules in this easy photography course.
Created by Phil Ebiner, offered on Udemy
To make sure that we score courses properly, we pay a lot of attention to the reviews students leave on courses and how many students are taking a course in the first place. This course has a total of 134069 students which left 7412 reviews at an average rating of 4.6. Impressive!
We analyze course length to see if courses cover all important aspects of a topic, taking into account how long the course is compared to the category average. This course has a length of 48 minutes, which is pretty short. This might not be a bad thing, but we've found that longer courses are often more detailed & comprehensive. The average course length for this entire category is 3 hours 50 minutes.
This course currently has a bestcourses score of 8.8/10, which makes it a great course to learn from. On our entire platform, only 15% of courses achieve this rating!
You want to take better photos, right?
If terms like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and the exposure triangle aren't familiar - then this photography for beginners course is perfect for you.
Whether you have a DSLR, mirrorless, bridge, point and shoot, or even just a smartphone, you should learn these main settings and rules that all professional photographers use.
With this Photography Fundamentals course, you'll understand how your camera actually works
After taking this beginner photography course, you'll know:
Aperture - Adjusting your f-stop, and what this does creatively to your photo
Shutter Speed - How to prevent a common beginner mistake with this setting
ISO - Preventing photos with digital noise and grain
Exposure - How to use aperture, shutter speed, ISO, lights, and filters to take well-exposed photos
Composition - Basic rules to follow... and when to break them
White Balance - Make sure your photo's colors look natural
Photo Quality & File Types - Best scenarios to use different file types
Who is the photography instructor?
My name is Phil Ebiner, I wanted to create this course for absolute beginners who want to know the basic settings and rules no matter what camera you're using.
I hope you enjoy this photography fundamentals course, and it helps you on your journey to taking better photos.
What you will learn
- You will learn how to use the manual settings on your camera to properly expose a photo.
- You will learn basic composition rules that will automatically improve your photography.
- You will learn what aperture is, and how to use it creatively.
- You will learn what shutter speed is, and how to prevent common beginner mistakes.
- You will learn what ISO is, and how to prevent 'noisy' photos.
- You will learn about the different photo settings and resolutions.
- You will understand the basic settings and rules that all pro photographers once learned.
- There are no prerequisites for this course. This course is all about the basic settings and rules you should know as you start taking photos.
- Most DSLR, mirrorless, point and shoot, and bridge camera users will benefit from this course. Even smartphone photographers might benefit from taking this course, though not all the settings will be available on all cameras.