bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
How to Paint Figures and People with Watercolor
Learn Unique Techniques to Paint People & Figures using Watercolor. 2 Courses for the price of 1!
Created by Colin Bradley School of Art, offered on Udemy
To make sure that we score courses properly, we pay a lot of attention to the reviews students leave on courses and how many students are taking a course in the first place. This course has a total of 183 students which left 18 reviews at an average rating of 4.55, which is average.
We analyze course length to see if courses cover all important aspects of a topic, taking into account how long the course is compared to the category average. This course has a length of 1 hours 48 minutes, which is pretty short. This might not be a bad thing, but we've found that longer courses are often more detailed & comprehensive. The average course length for this entire category is 2 hours 51 minutes.
This course currently has a bestcourses score of 5.2/10, which makes it an average course. Overall, there are probably better courses available for this topic on our platform.
When I first started using Watercolour in 1980 I was inspired to copy the great artists such as Constable, Quinton and others. I couldn’t get on with oil or acrylic so turned my hand at watercolour.
As I had never gone to art school I just went with my instincts and had fun!
Because I tried to copy the great artists, the techniques I developed were completely unique and unlike any other watercolour pictures I saw.
I remained self taught, learnt as I went along and what you’ll see in this course is a result of years of learning through mistakes and finding what worked.
You’ll also see techniques never before attempted with watercolour (as far as I know). My watercolour pictures, even though they’re “impressionistic”, have a sense of realism about them.
In this course I’ll give you an outline drawing so that you can print this straight to watercolour paper or trace it using a carbon. I’ll also show you the materials I use in my watercolour work.
Then we’ll get started with the paintings which are split into “easy to digest” parts.
With this course you will learn to paint 2 pictures:
Figures in the Mist
I hope you enjoy learning my watercolour techniques, once you are finished, please do join our private VIP facebook group where you can share your work with my other students.
What you will learn
- Have 2 completed a Paintings
- Apply new watercolor techniques to their own work
- Understand building colours and layers with watercolor
- Achieve impressionistic detail in their figures and people in watercolour painting
- Watercolor Paper (I use smooth watercolor paper)
- Variety of Brushes (optional very fine brushes such as 0, 00 and even 000 which I use from time to time.)
- Watercolor Paints (I use Winsor and Newton Cotman watercolour pans and palette but you can use any you like)
- Hardboard backing board (for taping your work to)
- Brown sticky tape!
- Ruler (Straight edge and roller - optional though!)
- Kitchen roll
- Water container
- Graphite pencils & sharpener - optional if drawing free hand