bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Fountain Pen Ink Art - The Basics
Learn how to use fountain pen inks and bleach for watercolour painting, illustration and calligraphy
Created by Nick Stewart, offered on Udemy
To make sure that we score courses properly, we pay a lot of attention to the reviews students leave on courses and how many students are taking a course in the first place. This course has a total of 366 students which left 163 reviews at an average rating of 4.6, which is average.
We analyze course length to see if courses cover all important aspects of a topic, taking into account how long the course is compared to the category average. This course has a length of 1 hours 16 minutes, which is pretty short. This might not be a bad thing, but we've found that longer courses are often more detailed & comprehensive. The average course length for this entire category is 2 hours 51 minutes.
This course currently has a bestcourses score of 6.1/10, which makes it an average course. Overall, there are probably better courses available for this topic on our platform.
Fountain Pen Ink Art - The Basics - a fascinating exploration into the composition of fountain pen ink for use across a diverse range of art disciplines.
Suitable for students of all ages and abilities, this course gives you all the necessary techniques and top tips to allow you to create unique and fascinating artwork using this extremely diverse art medium and is essential for all students who keep sketch books and art journals.
With the recent boom in the diversity of fountain pen ink colours, sheens and shimmers, this course explores their unique make up and reactions with bleach, and demonstrates this through creating art in a way that hasn't been taught before. The unique characteristics of chromatography, serendipity and alchemy (bleach), sets fountain pen ink art apart from all other art mediums. The techniques demonstrated, allow students to work both 'dark into light' and 'light into dark' and across a diverse range of disciplines including: watercolour painting, illustration, hand lettering, calligraphy and fine art.
Fountain pen inks are made up of dyes and when applied to water on high quality paper, the coloured dyes that make up the ink are released from solution, so although you are using one ink it appears that you are using several colours. The chromatic process is very much serendipity led and the beauty of the final visual outcomes are invariably dictated by this. Then add in a touch of alchemy (bleach), and fountain pen ink art goes to a whole new level with stunning neon gold effects, textures and new colours created!
As a relatively unexplored medium for use in art, the course starts by explaining why fountain pen ink is a unique and fascinating medium and then progresses through 12 walk through tutorials demonstrating techniques and top tips that will show students how to create watercolour paintings, illustrations, handwriting and calligraphy using this unique medium that is not only fascinating to watch but totally absorbing to engage with.
This course is one of a kind. Check it out now!
What you will learn
- You will learn how to use fountain pen inks as an art medium
- You will learn how to investigate an ink, explore it’s chromatography, the impact of serendipity and how it reacts with bleach.
- You will learn how to swatch test fountain pen inks and create beautiful swatch cards
- You will learn how to create stunning chromatography based landscape paintings
- You will learn how to paint, illustrate and write with bleach into fountain pen ink
- You will learn how to paint portraits blending fountain pen inks together, adding bleach and metal dusts
- You will learn about paper surfaces and how they affect fountain pen inks
- You will learn about automatic pens and how to create abstract calligraphy, blending fountain pen inks together and incorporating metal dusts and bleach
- You will learn how to protect fountain pen ink artwork from ultra violet light
- Suitable for all ages and abilities wanting to learn the basic techniques to create fountain pen ink art
- Equipment and materials required
- Desire to learn fountain pen ink art techniques
- Ideal for students looking for something alternative with a stunning visual impact