bestcourses is supported by learners. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Introduction to Islamic Geometric Design
Learn how to understand and make Islamic geometric patterns
Created by Eric Broug, offered on Udemy
To make sure that we score courses properly, we pay a lot of attention to the reviews students leave on courses and how many students are taking a course in the first place. This course has a total of 3114 students which left 635 reviews at an average rating of 4.3. Impressive!
We analyze course length to see if courses cover all important aspects of a topic, taking into account how long the course is compared to the category average. This course has a length of 1 hours 45 minutes, which is pretty short. This might not be a bad thing, but we've found that longer courses are often more detailed & comprehensive. The average course length for this entire category is 6 hours 4 minutes.
This course currently has a bestcourses score of 7.1/10, which makes it a great course to learn from. On our entire platform, only 15% of courses achieve this rating!
This course will enable you to make patterns and to learn to understand Islamic geometric compositions. You will only need a ruler/straight edge, a pencil and a marker to make these patterns. You won't have to make any calculations, just follow my step by step instructions and you will be amazed at what you can create, using the same design techniques Islamic craftsmen have used for centuries. I will also show how to tessellate patterns in an efficient way and, importantly, how to embellish patterns. Islamic geometric design is not just about drawing patterns with black lines. What you do to the patterns after you have drawn them, how you make them more beautiful is a very important part of using your personal creativity. I will show some techniques and styles that have been used over the centuries in different part of the Islamic world to make geometric compositions more beautiful.
What you will learn
- By the end of this course, you will be able to draw four Islamic geometric patterns
- In this course, you will learn about the crucial role of grids in Islamic geometric design
- In this course, you will learn about fourfold and sixfold geometric patterns
- By the end of this course, you will be able to better understand how Islamic geometric patterns are constructed
- In this course, you will learn the techniques used by craftsmen to embellish patterns
- No prior knowledge required
- You will need a ruler (straightedge), a pencil and a felt tip marker. You might also need an eraser..
- I provide PDF templates for this course, which you should print out for a few of the lectures